Friday, February 27, 2009

Quiche

Whenever I go home to visit my parents I always stock up on sausage sold at the local market. Everything is raised, slaughtered and processed locally so I know it is fresh and I also know there are no strange bi-products. It is blended with a lot of different spices that give it a wonderful taste and heat. I am down to my last pound of it in the freezer and figured I would use it during the in-law's visit. I also had a leftover pie shell from a chocolate pie I had made awhile back and so I decided the best way to use everything up would be to make a breakfast quiche. Boy howdy this was DELICIOUS! The buttermilk adds an interesting tangy taste to the quiche. I hardly ever cook with it and I've discovered I really like the taste of it.



Cheesy Sausage and Egg Quiche
I found the recipe East Meets West Kitchen blog

Ingredients
1. 1 pound Jimmy Dean Maple sausage I used the pd. of hot sausage I had on hand
2. 1/2 cup onion, diced
3. 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
4. 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
5. 1 tbsp. flour
6. 1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust
7. 4 eggs, beaten
8. 1 cup buttermilk
9. 1 tbsp. parsley flakes To me 1 tbsp. is too much. Next time I will half that amount.
10. 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
11. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
12. 1/4 tsp freshly grind black pepper

Directions
1. Cook sausage in non-stick skillet. Drain sausage, reserving 2 tbs fat.
2. Sauté onion and pepper in 2 tbs fat reserved from the sausage.
3. Combine cheese and flour. Stir in sausage, pepper, and onion.
4. Spread evenly in pie crust.
5. Thoroughly mix rest of ingredients and pour into pie shell over sausage mixture.
6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 35-40 minutes, until browned and cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment