Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Noble Pig Brisket



One of the food blogs that I love to follow is the Noble Pig. I love to drool over all the food and when I saw this recipe it really jumped out at me. I was a little intimidated at the thought of cooking a brisket since I had never attempted that feat before but looking at the step by step photos I felt confident that yes I could indeed make it! T.H. who is not the standard man who will eat anything gave this two thumbs up and said he wanted me to make it again soon. I hope you all like it as much as we did.

Noble Pig Brisket

Ingredients
1. 1 large onion diced
2. 1/2 cup butter
3. 28 ounces of ketchup
4. 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
5. 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
6. 1/3 cup lemon juice
7. 2 Tablespoons chili powder
8. 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
9. 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
10. 1 teaspoon salt
11. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
12. 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional) I did not use it
13. 2 beef briskets totaling 5-6 pounds or one large 6 pound beef brisket (if you can find it) Mine was about 4.2 pds.

Directions
1. Saute onion and butter in a heavy saucepan until tender.
2. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes until reduced to about 6 cups.
4. Place the brisket in a roasting pan. I don't have a roasting pan so I used a sheet pan.
5. Add 3 cups of sauce.
6. Cover and bake at 275 degrees for 3 hours for two smaller briskets, basting occasionally. I forgot to cover the pan with aluminum foil so it didn't get the nice crust it was supposed to. Still delicious though!
7. If you use one large 6 pound brisket bake at 350 degrees for 4 hours, covered.
8. Skim any fat.
9. Remove brisket and let rest for 15 minutes.
10. Thinly slice the beef and pour remaining sauce from the pan and reserved sauce over the beef. Or throw the thinly sliced beef back into the roasting pan with the cooking sauce and add the sauce you reserved and completely coat the meat, then plate it up. It will be so saucy and so good.

I highly recommend you go to the Noble Pig site to see all of the pictures that she took for this brisket recipe. My pics don't come anywhere close to showing how good it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment