Thursday, January 29, 2009

The BBQ Report


BBQ is such an interesting type of food because unlike almost any other food where there are clearly defined lines as to its origin; bbq is claimed by the entire country. Everyone from the north to the south claims that they have the best way of creating bbq. Even Native Americans were known to bbq their meat. In the U.S. we have four broad categories when it comes to how you prefer your bbq: Kansas City, Memphis, Texas and North Carolina. They differ based on what type of wood you use (some say hickory others swear by oak) to what kind of sauce (dry rub, wet sauce, vinegar, sugar, etc.). The interesting thing about what most people refer to as bbq is that it actually isn't. BBQ by definition is a "method and apparatus for cooking food, often meat, with the heat and hot gases of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal" (I quote wikipedia) So unless you're firing up the barbie at home you aren't actually making bbq. Even so I'm not one to be a stickler for the rules. I make "bbq" about once a month and no it isn't over fire, smoking wood or hot coals....it's in the slow cooker. I'm sure a lot of southerners just rolled over in their graves.

I do love my slow cooker though and try to use it as much as possible. T.H. and I received one as a wedding present from a very sweet lady in our church. The problem was it was so tiny that you couldn't even fit one chicken breast inside without having to cut it in half. I think it must have been one of those tiny slow cookers intended only for making dips but T.H and I made whole meals in it for about five months! You know it goes back to my motto "make it work!" So for Christmas I decided to ask for a large 6qt slow cooker. One I could put whole pieces of meat in without having to cut it up first. On Christmas morning I happily unwrapped my Hamilton Beach Stay n Go 6qt slow cooker and I've been using it ever since. This recipe for bbq could not be any simpler. For people who say you can't cook yes you can! This has literally zero prep work. Make it and you'll be everyone's best friend.


Slow Cooker BBQ from allrecipes


Ingredients
1. 1 (2.5-3 pd.) boneless chuck roast (I used an angus roast)
2. 1 tsp. garlic powder
3. 1 tsp. onion powder
4. 1 (18 ounce.) bottle of bbq sauce (I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's but you could always make your own sauce)

Directions
1. Place roast into the slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbeque sauce over meat. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. (I recommend 8. It makes it easier to shred)
2. Remove meat from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment